Develop some really good, informative and original content for your website, and rule the WEB!
My website is hit by penguin 2.1, I have lost my traffic, my keywords were ranking on the first page of Google but now they are ranking on 3rd or the 4th page or even beyond. How to build links for my website now? These are some most common thing you got to hear these days ever since Penguin 2.1 was introduced. Here is my next post on this.
So by now, we all know what is Penguin 2.1 update, what is its impact on websites, which websites are hit by this deadly algorithm. We now know the reason for the drop or fall in the ranking or traffic of most of the website. I have personally observed that all my friends except a few lucky ones are crying with this hit. But Matt Cutts, Google's head of search spam, said it impacted about 1% of search queries. (I wonder how 1% search queries can hit almost every business website around me, except a few whereas the earlier Penguin 2.0 was said to have affected 2.3% search queries, but the impact was quite low in my surrounding.)
But now lets get into discussing something serious. Lets discuss about what to do now after this hit. How to rank website back on Google? How to regain the traffic again? I am discussing these things based on my past experiences in fighting similar hits. Lets discuss some of the best practices in SEO , I will mark things to do now point wise.
- Get a website ready which provides rich content, easy navigation, highly engaging UI, keeping in mind various SEO friendly HTML factors.
- Ofcourse the first step will be to get rid of the low quality backlink profiles. Do whatever you can do including disavowing Unnatural links which you are unavailable to remove maually through contacting their Webmaster.
- Forget Link Exchange, specially PAID
- Forget Directory Submissions, despite the high PR of the website. Just include your website into dMoz directory and Yahoo Directory.
- Forget Social Bookmarking now, just Stumble, Reddit, Delicious etc. (Mostly the sharing options you find in the most popular sharing widgets.)
- Do not Focus on Article submission. Even if you are not willing to do a little bit of article submissions, just use a well written, informative article discussing some of your achievements and your product specialties and specialties of your services. Submit this article on any one of the article directories for e.g. EzineArticles.
- Focus more on getting more and more Social signals through Google Plus(G+), Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest etc. Get more likes, sharing, comments, get involved in the discussions going on your Social Page. The more likes, sharing, and comments you are getting, more is the natural back-links that you are getting, which is Google's new LOVE.
- Use popular Web 2.0 websites like the Tumbler, WordPress etc. to share your content and build content channels for your website without spending extra penny on creating websites for publishing your valuable content.
- Find some big blogs which allow guest blogging opportunities. Ask them, if you can publish some great content and informative stories/articles, if it meets their Guest Blogging requirements. Do not add anchor text rich links embedded into your post. Just use your brand name to introduce your business. If your content is good, you will be getting natural links automatically. If you can create a BUZZ around your content, all your hard work and efforts in writing such wonderful and great content is rewarded. Make sure your content is in the right context.
- Do not allow dofollow links on the footer of your website, nofollow them immediately.
- Do not link your website anywhere unnecessarily, until you have a logic and you can relate it will the content.
- Make some great engaging videos to visually represent and describe your business, your products and services. This is a great source to bring huge traffic to your website.
- Keep practicing the white hat on-page seo techniques that we already know. Do not ignore a single thing to stand apart from all these hits.
- Get Google authorship for your content.
- Start using long keywords for your website. Long tail SEO is the new in thing after HUmmingbird Algorithm. Long tail Keywords is also showing signs of improved conversion ratio over the one-two word keywords.
In short, let people link you rather than you running for links. Everything which will be natural is going to survive. Do not try to cheat the current algorithm, because another update to eat the cheats done to beat this current update must be into the pipeline and can be launched sooner.